您现在的位置是：부모와 아이 >>正文
Yoon, Kishida receive JFK award for mending stalled ties
简介South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol and Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida on Sunday were honore ...
South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol and Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida on Sunday were honored with the special International Profile in Courage Award from the John F. Kennedy Library Foundation for their efforts in improving relations between the countries, despite historical issues and domestic opposition.
“I am honored to receive this year’s “Profile in Courage Award,” a symbol of John F. Kennedy’s New Frontier,” Yoon said in a prerecorded acceptance speech.
“I know that this award is a reminder of my solemn duty -- a profound sense of responsibility placed upon the Republic of Korea, the United States and Japan to promote freedom and prosperity around the world by standing together in solidarity,” he added, using the formal name of South Korea.
Yoon began working toward rapprochement with Japan after he took office in May 2022. He was the first South Korean leader in 12 years to visit Tokyo in March this year, following Seoul’s controversial decision to compensate wartime forced labor victims without contributions from Japanese firms.
Kishida reciprocated by visiting South Korea for a summit with Yoon in May, opening a new era of bilateral ties strained over historical disputes in a decade.
The foundation said on its website that the leaders’ decision to mend ties by leaving the past behind was for “a more hopeful future” and has “set the stage” for trilateral cooperation with the US. The two met US President Joe Biden at Camp David in Maryland in August, which reaffirmed “the progress made between two of America’s closest allies,” it added.
The award is granted to politicians who have shown courageous leadership. Other major recipients include Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy in 2022 for acting to protect democracy and former US President Barack Obama for his enduring commitment to democratic ideals in 2017.
- 부모와 아이
South Korea is set to record the lowest number of first graders entering elementary school next year ...
- 부모와 아이
South Korean stocks fell to a five-month low Tuesday on lingering concerns about the Federal Reserve ...
- 부모와 아이
김정은 북한 국무위원장이 지난 16일 블라디보스토크 인근 크네비치 공군기지에서 미그(Mig)-31에 탐재되어 있는 극초음속 미사일 '킨잘'을 만져보는 모습. AFP, 연합뉴스17일 ...
P1Harmony expands reach in US with iHeartRadio Jingle Ball Tour
Milk prices to go up in Oct.
[Herald Interview] Mimiirose hopes to make a name for itself
[Bills in Focus] Holding CEOs accountable for lack of internal financial control
AmCham seminar explores health care as bigger part of Korea
Seoul shares open lower on Fed's higher
- [Herald Review] NCT 127 takes inspiration from ‘Matrix’ for 3rd tour
- Fifty Fifty's Keena marks group's 1st anniversary with apology
- S. Korea's top diplomat holds talks with Malaysian, Indonesian counterparts at APEC
- Yoon says China would not benefit from trilateral cooperation with Russia, N. Korea
- Seoul to push through bill to ban dog meat consumption
- NTCK to celebrate 100th Seoul performance of ‘The Orphan of Zhao’
- S. Korean battery makers' R&D investment up 12.5% in Jan.
- Choosing children over career: Fatherhood changing in modern Korea
- 민주당 이상민 의원, 내주 與 혁신위와 대담…거취 정할지 주목
- Prosecutors seek 5
- Hyundai, Kia report robust EV US sales, shrug off impact of IRA
- South Korea lining up banks to help finance $22 billion arms sale to Poland
- Arrest warrant issued for ex
- Following an Israeli airstrike, crowded Gaza hospital struggles to treat wounded children
- "I am..." meme latest to go viral in bizarre saga surrounding fencing star
- The Beatles release new track ‘Now And Then’ after 27 years thanks to AI
- Bedbug fear spreads across Seoul
- Blinken redoubles calls for humanitarian pause in Israel
- Unauthorized AI
- [Weekender] Pop
- Samsung files complaint in US against BOE for allegedly leaking trade secrets
- Tving’s ‘High School Mystery Club’ to return with season 3
- 5 S. Koreans from Gaza arrived in Egypt via Rafah border: ministry
- Asiana to sell cargo biz to help Korean Air win EU approval for takeover
- Japan returns favor again by flying 15 Korean nationals out of Israel
- [From the Scene] Samsung bets big on package substrates for future chips
- 尹대통령 지지율 1%p 오른 34%…국민의힘 34% 민주당 33% [갤럽]
- Actor Lee Sun
- [Our Museums] Legacy of early Catholics at Korean Catholic Martyrs' Museum
- LG CNS, NYC, AmCham Korea forge partnerships on digital transformation